The column steering shaft in a power steering Mopar is different (shorter) than the shaft in a non-power steering car.
Steering Gear - changes in 1973. This affects the pitman arm. Prior to 1973 the output shaft diameter was 1 inch (doesn't apply to the C-Body). In 1973 it increases to 1.12 inches. If you buy a steering gear from a post-73 year car and try to install it on a 1972 or earlier car - the pitman arm will be too small.
Typically, 3 different pumps were used on mopars... they require different lines & brackets to secure the pump to the engine.
Identification of the Mopar pumps:
- Federal - pressure hose comes out the front of pump, and tapped hole in the end of the pump shaft.
- Saginaw - pressure hose comes out the back of the pump.
- TRW/Thompson - has a hex-shaped hole or no hole in the end of the pump shaft. pressure hose is in same location as Federal pump.
To do a Mopar power steering conversion on your B-body E-body or A-body muscle car, you'll need the following:
- Steering column shaft (or column)
- Power Steering gear.
- Power Steering pump/ w reservoir (federal power steering part # PS256, or PS239 Saginaw power steering pump)
- Pump brackets, vary depending on application - see below
Power Steering pump bracket part #'s and TYPICAL USAGE:
PS23 - Big Block 383 and 440 Mopar Saginaw Power Steering Pump Brackets For use on 1969 and later Big Block engines without Air Conditioning.
PS22 - Big Block 383 and 440 Mopar & Hemi TRW Power Steering Pump Brackets. For use on most pre-1969 Big Block engines without Air Conditioning. 1966 426 hemi applications.
PS004 - Small Mopar Block Saginaw Power Steering Pump Brackets. For use on 1970 and later Small Block engines with or without A/C.
PS25 - Big Block Mopar 440 and 383 & Hemi Federal Power Steering Pump Bracket. For 1967-72 Big Block & Hemi engines with or without A/C.
PS26 - Mopar Small Block Federal Power Steering Pump Brackets. For 1970-72 Small Block engines with aluminum water pump with or without A/C.
PS27 - Small Block Mopar TRW/Thompson Power Steering Pump Brackets. For 1964-69 Small Block LA engines with cast iron water pump housings and TRW or Thompson pumps. Can be used on both A/C and non-A/C applications.